What the Term “Natural” Really Means?
What Does the Term “Natural” Really Mean?
The beauty industry is exploding with products that claim to be “natural”- but what does it actually mean for a product to be natural? This term can be a bit deceiving as it can be broad and expansive in its definition. Due to the lack of relevant FDA regulation, the translation of this term largely remains up to the manufacturer. How can you, as a consumer and/or brand, ensure the products you are purchasing or selling are “natural”?
Traits of “Natural” Skincare Products
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the definition of a “natural” product is, “ingredients extracted directly from plants or animal products as opposed to being produced synthetically.'' This means the product is:
- Not processed by synthetic means
- Petrochemical free
- Not extracted or processed through the use of petrochemicals
- Harvested, grown and raised ecologically
- Only processed using naturally derived solvents
- Not exposed to irradiation
- Not genetically engineered and do not contain any Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’s)/li>
The above characteristics are the general guidelines for finding a truly “natural” product. Asking questions about any potential product is key to discovering the truth and whether it’s something you want to use.
Why is “Natural” Better?
- Gentle- Natural skin care can feel more gentle on your skin, in large part because the ingredients are plant based and often formulated specifically with more sensitive skin types in mind.
- Irritant free- Because natural skincare has to be free of certain kinds of ingredients, like petroleum for example, it’s often less irritating for people than formulas filled with synthetics.
- Ecologically friendly- Many natural skincare products and ingredients are also manufactured using green technologies. For example, everything made at RainShadow Labs is 100% powered by the wind.
Choose RainShadow’s Natural Products Today!
At RainShadow Labs, we believe in being ethical and leaving our planet and ecosystem better than we found it. Our natural formulas are produced in an eco-friendly environment in our 100% wind powered facility. We provide private label and custom skin and hair care product manufacturing. Your end results will always be beautiful with our professional staff and products. Call our friendly representatives at 503-366-3413 today!