Essential oils have been used for centuries as medical remedies. They can be useful for many ailments, including coughs. To treat a cough a person allows the essential oil vapors to enter their airways and help combat the symptoms or sources of the cough.
There are two methods of treating coughs with essential oils. The essential oil can be combined with a carrier oil (grape seed, olive, walnut, or sunflower oil) and the mixture rubbed on the person's chest. The individual gains relief as they breathe the vapors.
Another way to treat a cough with essential oils is to place a few drops of the essential oil(s) into a bowl of warm water and breathe the vapors. A towel can be placed over the individual's head above the bowl of water, to hold the vapors inside the towel and direct them into the individual's airway. A few drops of the essential oil can also be placed onto a handkerchief and held under the person's nose instead.
Many essential oils help with coughs; a few benefits of specific oils are listed below. These treatments are not scientifically proven, but are based on centuries of anecdotal evidence and the research and practice of many alternative healers through the years.
- Myrrh can prevent mucus buildup.
- Cyprus reportedly reduces fluid in the lungs
- Black pepper opens up the airways.
- Peppermint reduces inflammation, also opening up the airways.
- Angelica is used as an expectorant, helping people cough up the phlegm.
- Rose is helpful for coughs caused by allergies and asthma, reducing irritation.
- Cedarwood breaks up mucus and relaxes the airway muscles.
- Eucalyptus reduces inflammation and breaks up mucus.
- Lemon has antimicrobial properties and is thus good for bacterial and viral infections.
- Frankincense helps to clean out the lungs and regulate breathing.
- Lavender relaxes the airway muscles.
- Tea tree can help kill infection and helps clear congestion.
- Sandalwood helps break up the mucus and fight infections.
- Rosemary helps with asthma, sinus infections, bronchitis, whooping cough and otherrespiratory disorders.
- Cajeput can help fight infections in the upper airways.