If you are a skin care enthusiast, you’re probably always looking for the latest and greatest in DIY projects. According to the NPD Group, skin care product sales reached a total of $5.6 billion for 2019, with natural products remaining the largest contributor. More than ever, millennials are turning to DIY skin care products to ensure only the highest quality ingredients are used and they leave out those that are harmful. We’ve put together some tips for those of you who are DIY enthusiasts who are just beginning their skin care journey.
- Begin with a clean, well-lit work surface: Clean off a portion or your counter or table top. Be sure to choose a place with good lighting and ventilation. Ventilation is especially important when working with essential oils and smells can be concentrated. Using a ventilated hood or fan for circulation could both be helpful tips.
- Gather tools: Next, you’ll want to gather the basic tools you need so you aren’t scavenging while you’re in the thick of your recipe. Ensure you have all ingredients on hand and ready to mix. Keep in mind, when using essential oils, mixing and storing any products in glass containers is recommended as essential oils can cause the plastic to break down, leaving behind harmful plastic chemicals in your finished product. Find more packaging products here.
- Use good hygiene: Take care to ensure all surfaces and equipment you’re using have been properly sanitized to ensure utmost safety. Contamination can cause your product to less shelf stable. Sanitize working surfaces with alcohol, allowing time to dry before beginning. Utensils and mixing bowls can be properly sanitized in the dishwasher.
- Gather basic ingredients: The great thing about DIY skin care projects is they usually utilize readily available ingredients. That being said, RainShadow Labs offers a large supply of ready to use ingredients that are ideal for DIY projects. These include: Liquid Castile Soap, Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter and African Shea Butter. We have thousands of ingredients available in sizes from just ounces to gallons, for your convenience.
- Storing your finished DIY project: Storing is always a huge part of the process when doing a DIY skin care project. You have put in a lot of work and want to preserve that work and lengthen the lifespan of your product. That being said, glass is always the best storage vehicle especially when utilizing essential oils in your recipe. Occasionally, products will need to be stored in the refrigerator for utmost effectiveness and shelf life. We have hundreds of storage options available here.
It is vital to your final product that you ensure you keep your environment as clean and chemical free as possible. At RainShadow Labs, we believe that everyone should have access to the ingredients necessary to have great, beautiful skin. Whether you do DIY skin care because you have a skin allergy or you simply want to protect and preserve the environment, we can help. Call a member of our customer service team at 503-366-3413 to order or with any questions you may have.